- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut out small diamond shapes (about 4 inches tall) from the pie dough.
- Cut out small heart shapes using a small heart cookie cutter and set aside. If you don’t have one, you can also freehand or create your own with a piece of paper. Just place the heart cut-out on top of the dough and cut around it.
- In the center of the diamond, spoon 1-2 tablespoons of jam, jelly, or preserves.
- Fold the two side corners into the center of the diamond, over the jam.
- Fold the bottom corner up over the two side corners and place the heart cut-out on top. (Leave the top corner open. Some jam/jelly/preserves will be visible.)
- Crack an egg into a bowl and stir with a fork or whisk. Brush egg wash on top of envelopes and place in oven.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 10 minutes) and sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or sprinkles.
Optional Tip: If you’d like to add color to your pie dough love notes, add any color frosting or icing to the envelope seams or the cut-out heart.