Its the official first day of summer break and this mamma couldn’t be happier! I am so glad to be done with homeschool. I think I am even more excited then my kids! However, without the homeschool routine, I have been searching for some easy fun activities to keep them busy this summer. I am not sure when or even if our neighborhood pools will open up for summer, so finding activities to also keep them outside is one of my top priorities. This easy DIY moon sand only uses 2 ingredients that I am sure you already have at home! Not only was it easy to make, but it kept them entertained for hours! I will call that a WIN!
All you need for this recipe is flour and baby oil! I am not sure if this would work with other oils, bit if you give it a try let me know!
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing lots more summer activities for kids. You might also want to check out this DIY play doh recipe that we made. If you are looking for some indoor activities I shared some of our current favs on this post.
Keep in mind that this DIY moon sand is super messy! After we made it I put it in our outdoor activity table so I didn’t have to clean up a huge mess! If you don’t want to make this recipe yourself you can also buy Kinetic sand! My kids love all sand activities!
How to make DIY Moon Sand
- 4 cups of Flour
- 1/2 cup baby oil
- Food coloring of your choice (optional)
Directions to make Moon Sand
- Add the baby oil to a small mixing bowl and add a few drops of food coloring (optional). Mix until combined.
- Add the flour and baby oil into a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the baby oil and flour well. If you don’t have a mixer you can add the ingredients to a large ziplock bag and knead well until combined.
- Put it in a large container outside, and let your children play freely with it. Add their favorite toys and trucks for hours of fun!